Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Free Form

This Past Friday I was invited to a guys house to "jam." The guy who invited me goes by the name of mike. Before I knew mike, one of his friends told me that he played drums with Steve Miller...yes "Thee" Steve Miller. I didn't ask for how long (it could have been just one night or something) but needless to say I was pretty intimidated. I actually got to his house early and so I got to make small talk with mike and another guy for awhile, then I found out that he was going to record the whole 2 and 1/2 hour free form session. That made me even more intimidated, and on top of that three of the other guys that were going to be there had been on record lables and have toured the country multiple times. I think I was the only non-accomplished musician there. I was really nervous before we got started. Then Mike asked me If I knew of a band called "Sigur Ros"...and from that point on I knew things were gonna be ok. We started talking about how we loved a layered and ambient sound (at this point I am saying Thank you Lord, this is something I can at least do and keep up with) and how we kind of wanted to build and recess and layer and have a huge, epic, slow type of session. So we did that and some of the other guys wanted to do some faster stuff so we did that too. But I cant even begin to say how good this guy was on the drums. It was rediculous. I don't know, maybe I have drummer who is on the same wave length as I am. Before the end of the night we had finished done a 2 and 1/2 hour session and gone out to the beach and watched the glowing red tide and listened to ( ) on while we looked at the stars sitting in the sand hearing the waves crash in the background. It was a great night of music. It was one of the best nights I have had in a long time.

4 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Gabriel Florit said...

that sounds pretty cool. was it recorded then? any clips?

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Richard McKrank said...

Jealous? I am. Sounds cool though.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Richard McKrank said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Richard McKrank said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home